Previous names: The name “Felicitas” has been retained since the hotel opened.
Architecture: In the book “Pommersche Bäderarchitektur” (Pomeranian Spa Architecture) by Wolfgang Schneider & Torsten Seegert, the hotel is described as follows: This building was originally constructed as a two-story angular structure with a gabled roof and a pronounced high cellar. On the side facing the beach, the protruding open wooden balconies created a transitional element arranged at an angle to the gable of the house. The lake side featured a three-axis structure dominated by a central balcony that extended far into the saddle area of the roof and gave the impression of three stories. All balconies on the sea side were open and had decorations that also reinforced the corner joints. … Over time, the three-axis structure on the sea side remained largely unchanged. However, only the central balcony has been preserved as such. … In the course of a complete renovation carried out in 1994/1995, the room layout of the entire building was changed. …
Year of construction: Before 1900
History/owners until 1945: Villa Felicitas was built before 1900. It was first mentioned in Müller’s Rügen guidebook from 1900. From 1901 onwards, it appeared regularly in the Binz housing directories with changing owners.
First entry: Lottumstraße 10, Villa Felicitas, owner Faerber, 20 rooms, 1 kitchen.
(Addendum: Part of Lottumstraße was renamed Wylichstraße in 1902. Villa Felicitas is now Wylichstraße 10).
In 1906, the owner Fock appeared. The 1909 Binz guide stated: Villa “Felicitas” in the immediate vicinity of the beach, opposite the family bathing area, with a pretty garden and seating areas, recommends its well-appointed and modern rooms with balconies at reasonable prices. Discounted prices in the early and late seasons. Owner: E. Fock
Two years later, H. Faerber was once again the owner, who also ran the Metropol guesthouse. From 1920, Emil Melms recommended his … large, high, airy rooms, all with balconies, some with a full sea view …
The Melms family ran the hotel until the 1940s.
GDR era: During the GDR era, the house was used for residential purposes.
After 1990: In the mid-1990s, the villa underwent complete renovation. The resulting modern vacation homes and apartments are still offered to vacationers and guests today.
Current use: Vacation homes and apartments
Photos: Boy Collection, Binzer Bucht Tourismus Collection
Text: Binzer Bucht