Previous names: Wikingerhof, Berliner Hof, Rosa Luxemburg
Today: Strandhotel Zur Promenade
Architecture: In the book “Pommersche Bäderarchitektur” (Pomeranian Seaside Architecture) by Wolfgang Schneider & Torsten Seegert, the building is described as follows: The design of this building emphasizes its location at one of the beach access points. The massive three-story structure faces the beach promenade and features a small hipped roof on the gables. … The southern end of the building is formed by a single-axis risalit with a three-story open wooden loggia. … To the north is a two-axis open wooden loggia, which essentially follows the design of the southern axis. … The promenade view is completed by an octagonal corner tower, which is a solid structure protruding from the main building. The roof of this tower has a round arch. …
Year of construction: 1907
History/owners until 1945: In 1907, the current beach hotel was initially built as one of two lodgings belonging to the Hotel Fürst Blücher. The owner of the Hotel Fürst Blücher, Mr. Mohnke, put the lodging up for compulsory auction in 1910, and in May of that year, a Mr. Rummel was awarded the contract. From then on, Max Rummel ran the villa under the name “Wikingerhof.” In the 1911 Binz guidebook “das nordische Sorrent” (the Nordic Sorrento), the house was described in an advertisement as follows: Wikinger-Hof located directly on the beach. Quiet and elegant first-class hotel. 50 elegantly furnished rooms. Electric lighting. Reasonable prices. Owner: Max Rummel, formerly of Swinemünde. Telephone no. 226. Later, the owners changed frequently. There is no information available, particularly for the period of the First World War. From 1924, Mrs. Oberamtmann Karst was named as the owner, who then ran the Wikingerhof for many years. From the mid-1930s, the owners changed again.
GDR period: In 1953, the property was expropriated. An FDGB vacation home was established, initially under the name “Berliner Hof.” From 1964, it was called “Rosa Luxemburg.”
After 1990: In the early 1990s, the Müller family owned the “Zur Promenade” guesthouse. The 1992 room catalog of the FVV Binz e.V. specifically stated: Pension “Zur Promenade” Müller family Strandpromenade 46 Telephone 2742. The cozy family guesthouse right on the beach. 17 rooms, shared showers.
In the following years, the building underwent extensive renovation and reopened in 1994. The small, family-run hotel welcomed numerous guests.
In 2019, the ownership changed hands. Since then, the traditional hotel has been run by the Kurowski family from Binz.
Current use: Family-run hotel with restaurant
Interesting facts/anecdotes:
Mrs. Oberamtsmann Karst, who lived in Berlin during the winter, ran a small house right on the Binz beach promenade and attached great importance to various amenities. The 1935 Binz guidebook “Praktische Winke” (Practical Tips) described it as follows:
Wikinger Hof … Cultivated house on the beach promenade and by the forest, with stately, comfortable rooms, central heating, running hot and cold water in all rooms. Each room has a large balcony with a view of the lake. Elegantly tiled bathroom with many electrotherapeutic devices and artificial sunlamp. Elegant dining room, elegant lounges with bridge and skat circles, writing and reading room. First-class beds with horsehair mattresses and down comforters in all rooms. … Recommended by the German Officers’ Association and German Automobile Club (formerly imperial). No music in the hotel or neighborhood. On parle francais, English spoken, si parla italiano. …
Photos: Boy Collection, Binzer Bucht Tourismus Collection, Lutz Grünke, Binzer Bucht Tourismus/Christian Thiele
Text: Binzer Bucht Tourismus