Früher: Villa Vineta

  • The nearest houses
  • 76
  • (Route)(Route)
  • 78
  • 77 Hauptstraße 20

    Loev Hotel

    Former names: Villa Vineta

    Today: Loev Hotel

    Architecture: The Vineta was a typical example of the architectural style in Binz at the end of the 19th century. Inexpensive building materials were often used, in this case unplastered brick half-timbering. Only one upper floor and a converted attic support the assumption that the builder’s financial resources were limited. The tower adds value to the house.

    Year of construction: 1891

    History/owners until 1945: Construction began on Wilhelmstraße in 1890. The “AG Ostseebad Binz” sold the plots of land to the builders. In 1891, Villa Vineta was built as a residential house. As early as 1892, Grieben mentioned a wine shop in the “Vineta” in his Rügen guide, as did Dunker in 1895. Grieben’s 1896 Rügen guide added: Fischer’s wine and breakfast room, Wilhelmstraße, next to Leue. Two years later (1898), Grieben’s Rügen guide stated: “Fischer’s wine shop right next to Buttermann!” In the 1902 Binz apartment directory, 14 rooms and 2 kitchens were advertised. From 1909 to 1934, Vineta was owned by the Schütt family, and from 1921 onwards, it was advertised as a hotel and guesthouse. Otto Rössing took over the hotel in 1935.

    GDR era – Haus Vineta: After 1946, apartments were set up on the upper floor. There was a private restaurant on the ground floor. In 1971, the building was transferred to the state-owned trade organization Gaststätten (HOG), which took over the restaurant and apartments.

    After 1990: The Vineta building was purchased by the Kurowski family in 1991, initially with apartments and a restaurant. The 1992 room catalog of the FVV Binz e.V. stated: Hotel Vineta, Binz, Hauptstraße 20, reopening for the 1992 season after renovation in the fall and winter. In October 1993, the building was demolished and rebuilt according to the old plans. The Hotel Vineta opened on June 18, 1994.

    As part of an economic cooperation with the Hotel “Zum goldenen Löwen,” both hotels have been operated under the name “Loev Hotel Rügen” since January 1, 2001. Since November 2009, the aforementioned buildings have been owned by the Kurowski family. At the end of 2017, both buildings were sold. After a transition period, VELA Hotels AG took over both villas on January 1, 2019, and renovated them to a high standard. Since then, it has continued to operate them under the name “Loev Hotel Rügen.”

    Current use: Wellness hotel and row of shops

    Interesting facts/anecdotes: The Loev Hotel Rügen consists of two buildings (Vineta and Zum goldenen Löwen) that have been in Binz since the Wilhelminian era. The Vineta building was rebuilt according to old plans, and most observers believe that it underwent extensive renovation. The new hotel name LOEV is a combination of “Löwe” (lion) and “Vineta.”

    Photos: Kurowski family, Binzer Bucht Tourismus collection, Lutz Grünke, VELA Hotels AG Binzer Bucht Tourismus/Christian Thiele

    Text: Kurowski family, Klaus Boy