Previous names: Villa Priess, Hotel Monopol
Today: Centralhotel
Year built: Around 1905
History/owners until 1945: Villa Priess first appeared in the Binz residential directory in 1905: Wilhelmstr. 7, Villa Priess, owner: Priess, 15 rooms, 2 kitchens. Four years later, there were some interesting tenants in the building. On the one hand, the retired colonel and spa director Seelmann had moved into an apartment. On the other hand, the Franz Brich fashion house with its attached tailor’s shop offered its goods.
In 1911/12, there was a change of ownership. In 1912, Villa Priess was listed as being owned by Helmuth Utz. At that time, Helmuth Utz also owned a restaurant in Villa Normania, Wilhelmstraße 5, and was the owner of the Brückenkopf restaurant. In 1916/17, Mr. Utz decided to rename the house – to Hotel Monopol. In the 1925 travel guide “Praktische Winke – Ostseebad Binz auf Rügen” (Practical Tips – Baltic Sea Resort Binz on Rügen), it was recommended as follows: Hotel & Pension “Monopol” Wilhelmstraße. Owner: Helmuth Utz. Solid, elegant year-round hotel with rooms with and without board. 4 car garages. Central heating. Telephone 28.
Ten years later (1935), Helmuth Utz emphasized once again that he had been the owner of the Hotel Monopol since 1911.
GDR era: In the accommodation directory for the Baltic resort of Binz from the summer of 1950, the hotel was still called Monopol, but with a new owner: Hotel Monopol, owner Fürstenberg, 35 beds. In 1953, it was expropriated. The building was taken over by the HOG district company Rügen under the new name “Central-Hotel.” The ground floor housed an HO restaurant serving meals for HOG employees, and the upper floors contained apartments for HO employees.
After 1990: In the early 1990s, the 1992 room catalog of the FVV Binz und Umgebung e.V. stated: Good food and drink. Zentral-Hotel Binz, Hauptstraße 13 2337 Binz Telephone 2347. The building was renovated in the 1990s. Since then, it has been available to vacationers and guests again as a hotel with a restaurant.
Current use: Hotel with its own restaurant
Interesting facts/anecdotes: It is worth noting that owner Helmuth Utz referred to his good beer restaurant in 1935 in the guidebook “Praktische Winke – Ostseebad Binz auf Rügen” (Practical Tips – Baltic Sea Resort Binz on Rügen) … The good beer restaurant without concerts. On tap: Schultheiß-Patzenhofer, Siechen light and dark, Pilsner Urquell.
Photos: Boy Collection, Binzer Bucht Tourism Collection
Text: Binzer Bucht Tourism