Former names: Villa Kometh, Haus Stranddistel
Today: Villa Stranddistel
Architecture: In the book “Pommersche Bäderarchitektur” (Pomeranian Spa Architecture) by Wolfgang Schneider & Torsten Seegert, the house is described as follows: … it is a three-story solid construction with numerous open loggia structures. The main structure is complemented by a total of three loggias arranged at right angles to each other, with five axes on the promenade side, seven axes on the south side, and three axes on the north side. The corner risalit, which also serves as the connecting element between the loggia on the promenade side and the loggia on the south side of the building, is characterized by elements on the plaster facade that break up the monotony: The ground floor is visually separated from the other floors by a surrounding band. The windows are characterized by frames that vary in design from floor to floor. The roof follows the helmet shape already familiar from other buildings, with a weather vane supported by a cantilevered beam construction. …
Year of construction: Probably around 1901
History/owners until 1945: The house was probably built around 1901 and named after its owner, Miss Anna Kometh. In the 1905 Binz guide, Miss Kometh offered 29 rooms and a kitchen in her villa. At a later date, the owner changed and with her the name of the villa to “Villa Stranddistel.” In the 1931 Binz guide “Praktische Winke,” the villa was described as follows: Haus Stranddistel vorm. Kometh, beach promenade, long-distance telephone 458. Long-established guesthouse under new management. Quiet location, close to forest, baths, tennis courts. Large, sunny rooms with balcony, unobstructed sea view. Functionally furnished, large comfortable beds, excellent catering. Discounted prices in early and late season. Owner: Hildegard Koepke.
GDR era: In the accommodation directory “Ostseebad Binz Insel Rügen” from the summer of 1950, the house was listed as follows: Fremdenheim Stranddistel, owner Podella, 30 beds. Later, it was used as a residential building, among other things.
Apparently, the distinctive spire disappeared during the GDR era. A flat extension was built in front of the building, where general merchandise was sold (photo: early 1990s – Grit Juhrs’ general store with food, household chemicals, postcards, spirits, and toys).
After 1990: After 1990, the building underwent extensive renovation. The villa regained its distinctive spire, and vacation homes and apartments were created.
Current use: Vacation homes and apartments
Interesting facts/anecdotes: Advertisements from the 1930s often promoted the villa’s special location, such as “quiet location on the high forest,” “unobstructed lake view,” and “morning sun.”
Photos: Binzer Bucht Tourismus collection, Lutz Grünke, Binzer Bucht Tourismus/Christian Thiele