Previous names: The name “Villa Gudrun” has been retained since the hotel opened.
Architecture: In the book “Pommersche Bäderarchitektur” (Pomeranian Spa Architecture) by Wolfgang Schneider & Torsten Seegert, the hotel is described as follows:
This three-story complex with a solid loggia construction at the front and a steel balcony on the side was built at the turn of the century. … Early photographs show the first changes: the loggias on the promenade side, which were originally made of wood, were replaced by a solid construction. The sides of the promenade loggias were also fitted with heavily mullioned glazing. …
Year of construction: Around 1905
History/owners until 1945: In the 1909 Binz guide, the villa was described as follows: Villa Gudrun, located directly on the beach promenade, recommends its modernly furnished rooms. Mrs. A. Möller. In the 1920s, Mrs. Alma Möller continued to be mentioned as the owner. The presence of electric lighting in the villa was highlighted. It is not known whether there was a change of ownership in the following years. The house continued to be a first-class accommodation facility.
GDR era: … In the post-war years, maintenance costs were minimized; at the same time, the building underwent a series of changes in use – first confiscated as accommodation by the Red Army, then leased by the FDGB. Expropriation took place as part of the Rose campaign. In the following years, the loggias facing the promenade were completely glazed. Otherwise, the exterior of the building remained largely unchanged due to a lack of financial resources. … (from the book “Pommersche Bäderarchitektur” by Wolfgang Schneider & Torsten Seegert)
During the GDR era, the villa was also used as a residential building, among other things.
After 1990: From the book “Pommersche Bäderarchitektur” (Pomeranian Spa Architecture) by Wolfgang Schneider & Torsten Seegert: In 1992, the building was returned to its expropriated owner, who decided to sell it a few months later. As part of extensive renovation work, the glazed loggias on the front of the building, with their skylight decorations changing from floor to floor, have become a permanent feature of the building. The heavily mullioned side glazing of the front loggias was abandoned. … The basement has been extended to a full floor on the courtyard side.
After successful renovation, the building was sold as individual condominiums, most of which are used for vacation purposes.
Current use: Vacation homes and apartments
Photos: Binzer Bucht Tourismus collection, Lutz Grünke, Binzer Bucht Tourismus/Christian Thiele
Text: Binzer Bucht Tourismus