Former names: Villa Esperance, Villa Merkur
Today: Villa Esperance
Architecture: Some features of the resort architecture, such as the onion dome, which can be seen in historical photographs, are unfortunately no longer present. Typical of the architectural style are the relief elements in the building’s sculpture, the Resalit form (front facade structured by suspended balconies and side facade by airy white wooden balconies) and the fascias on the windows.
Year of construction: 1906
History/owners until 1945: The Krüger family had the house built in 1906 as a guesthouse. In the 1909 Binz guide, the advertisement read: “Villa ‘Esperance’, 28 comfortably furnished rooms with and without kitchen, owner Albert Krüger. At the same time, I recommend delicacies and colonial goods from the best suppliers: game and poultry, wines.” In 1915, it was presumably renamed Villa Merkur, and from 1916 onwards, this name could be found in the guest lists of Binz. The house was designated a guesthouse from the end of 1928. The Krüger family sold the house to the Königsberg entrepreneur Nitt in 1941. During World War II, the Nitt family ceased operating the guesthouse. It was used to house war refugees.
GDR era: The Nitt family was expropriated in 1953 as part of the Aktion Rose campaign. They fled to West Germany. The municipal housing administration then took over the house and continued to use it as a residential building until 1996. During these 43 years, nothing of the building’s original structure was preserved.
After 1990: In 1994, the grandson of the Nitt family applied for restitution. In 1996, he sold the house, which was in a desolate condition, to the Böhme family. They reconstructed and modernized the house with great attention to detail, turning it into a hotel, which opened in June 1998. In 2020/21, the Böhme family sold Villa Merkur. The new owners extensively renovated the building. With its opening in 2025, the villa regained its old name – Villa Esperance.
Current use: Vacation apartments
Interesting facts/anecdotes: In the course of the renovation by the new owners, which was carried out in accordance with historic preservation guidelines, the villa regained its tower. The onion dome, which no longer existed, was rebuilt based on historical photographs. The balconies were also renovated according to historical models.
Photos: private (Böhme family), Binzer Bucht Tourismus collection, Binzer Bucht Tourismus/Christian Thiele
Text: Böhme family, Klaus Boy