Previous names: Ostsee Hotel
Today: Aparthotel Ostsee
Architecture: … In the book “Pommersche Bäderarchitektur” (Pomeranian Spa Architecture) by Wolfgang Schneider & Torsten Seegert, the building is described as follows: Together with the Ostsee and Strandhotel buildings, this building, constructed by Wilhelm Klünder at the end of the 1880s, (addendum: “Seeschloß”) formed an important part of the old large guesthouses on the Binz beach promenade. … Regarding the “Ostsee” building, it states: In terms of its basic structure, this building resembles the architectural style that was later set in a striking way by the Kurhaus: a center section with eaves is framed by two gabled risalits. The core of the building is designed as a solid structure. The central section has three stories, while the two risalits have four stories with a gently sloping roof. An open wooden loggia construction is located in front of the solid building core. … Over time, numerous changes have been made to this house …
Year of construction: Around 1887
History/owners until 1945: In 1896, the “Ostsee” house was mentioned in Grieben’s travel book “Die Insel Rügen” (The Island of Rügen) as a hotel owned by the Wittmüss family. This inn was also highly praised for its beautiful location by the forest and the sea, as well as its excellent cuisine.
Mrs. Wittmüss continued to run the Ostsee Hotel in the following years (in 1905 with 56 rooms). In the 1909 Binz guide, the hotel was described as follows: Ostsee-Hôtel. A hotel of the highest class. Located directly on the sea with approx. 60 well-appointed rooms. Excellent cuisine and wine cellar. Electric lighting. Telephone 2. Brochures free of charge. Owner: Mrs. Wittmüss. Shortly afterwards, there was a change of ownership, because in 1911 Mrs. Rohde advertised the Ostsee Hotel with detailed information about the culinary offerings. Here is an excerpt from the 1911 Binz guidebook “Nordic Sorrento”: … Cheap accommodation and board. Table d’hôte at 1 p.m. Diners à part at small tables from 12 noon to 3 p.m. À la carte dining at any time of day. …
In the mid-1920s, H. Ziemann was named as the owner of the first-class establishment. It can be assumed that this did not change in the following years.
GDR era: During the GDR era, the building was used, among other things, as a holiday home for the FDJ Central Council (FDJ “Freie Deutsche Jugend”, youth organization of the GDR).
After 1990: From the book “Pommersche Bäderarchitektur” (Pomeranian Spa Architecture) by Wolfgang Schneider & Torsten Seegert: In 1994/95, the building was restored to its original condition by converting the loggias back into open structures. At the same time, the fourth floor of the central section, which had been added in the meantime, was replaced by a flat gable roof with protruding dormers.
Current use: Aparthotel
Photos: Binzer Bucht Tourismus collection, Lutz Grünke, Binzer Bucht Tourismus/Christian Thiele
Text: Binzer Bucht Tourismus