Former names: Zum goldenen Löwen
Today: Loev Hotel
Architecture: The building was the first hotel on Wilhelmstraße. The front of the half-timbered building consisted of a veranda and three balconies above it, with two towers framing the front. It is a typical example of the architectural style in Binz at the end of the 19th century. Inexpensive pine wood was used for the extensions, with considerable effort put into the design.
Year of construction: 1890
History/owners until 1945: In July 1890, a Mr. Gustav Leue opened his “Hotel zum goldenen Löwen” with a restaurant, wine bar and “… 30 elegantly furnished rooms…”. In 1897, he sold it to Gottlieb Buttermann, who ran it until 1945. The advertising promised guests “… bourgeois elegance in the most prestigious establishment …”. Summer guests included mainly officers and senior officials, who regularly gathered for coffee and music in the restored hall (now the restaurant).
GDR era: During the GDR era, the building belonged to the “HO und Gaststättenbetriebe” (HO and restaurant businesses) with a guesthouse and restaurant. The discotheque was very popular with young people, but older residents of Binz were also drawn to the building, namely to the “Faß,” a popular night bar. Andreas Wilhelm managed the establishment from 1984 onwards.
After 1990: After negotiations in 1991, Andreas Wilhelm was able to purchase the Goldener Löwe building, where he had managed a restaurant and discotheque since 1984. The 1992 room catalog of the FVV Binz e.V. stated the following: “Goldener Löwe” (night bar), Hauptstraße 22, open daily from 8 p.m. to 3 a.m. during the season. Until 1995, it served as a bistro and discotheque. It was demolished in 1996. Andreas Wilhelm celebrated the reopening as a hotel on July 1, 1997.
As part of an economic cooperation, the two establishments “Zum goldenen Löwen” and “Vineta” merged on January 1, 2001, and gave themselves a new name: Loev Hotel Rügen. Both owners ran the hotel for several years. Since November 2009, the aforementioned establishments have been owned by the Kurowski family. At the end of 2017, both establishments were sold. After a transition period, VELA Hotels AG took over both villas on January 1, 2019, and renovated them to a high standard. Since then, it has continued to operate them under the name “Loev Hotel Rügen.”
Current use: Wellness hotel with its own restaurant
Interesting facts/anecdotes: The Loev Hotel Rügen consists of two buildings that have been in Binz since the Wilhelminian era: Haus Vineta, which houses the hotel reception, and Haus Goldener Löwe, which now houses the restaurant. The new hotel name LOEV is a combination of “Löwe” (lion) and “Vineta.”
Photos: Kurowski family, VELA Hotels AG, Binzer Bucht Tourismus collection, Binzer Bucht Tourismus/Christian Thiele
Text: Kurowski family, Klaus Boy