Former names: Hotel and Café Royal
Today: Haus Möwe
Year built: 1905
History/owners until 1945: The Café Royal was once the most elegant café on the square, with its own pastry shop and guest rooms. In 1909, owner Franz Subklew described his establishment as follows: Café Royal. The most elegant café on the square, with its own pastry shop, located directly on the landing stage and beach, 35 comfortable, modern guest rooms with balconies at reasonable prices for daily and weekly stays. Electric lighting. Telephone 40, owner Franz Subklew (from the 1909 travel guide “Binz auf Rügen”). Later, in the mid-1920s, it was referred to as a hotel and café. The new owner, Mrs. S. Stuttrich, offered 36 rooms in 1925. The Grieben travel guide, volume 65, Rügen, from 1933 reported, among other things, that there was also a dentist in the building: B. Kotzan, Café Royal, Wilhelmstr. It is not known whether the owners changed again in the following years.
GDR era: During the GDR era, the Möwe building was, among other things, a residential building and café.
It can be assumed that the name change took place during this period and that the tower dome also disappeared.
After 1990: In 1992, an advertisement in the room catalog of the Binz and Surrounding Area Tourist Association still read: Café Möwe, Binz, Schillerstraße 2, coffee, coffee specialties, cakes. Ice cream sundaes, hot meals in a refined atmosphere.
Later, the building underwent extensive renovation. The Möwe building regained its striking tower cap. Vacation homes and apartments were created, as well as restaurants on the ground floor.
Current use: Vacation homes and apartments, restaurants
Photos: Binzer Bucht Tourismus collection, Lutz Grünke, Binzer Bucht Tourismus/Christian Thiele
Text: Binzer Bucht Tourismus