Former names: Hotel Café Gramm
Today: Haus Bellevue
Architecture: In the book “Pommersche Bäderarchitektur” (Pomeranian Spa Architecture) by Wolfgang Schneider & Torsten Seegert, the building is described as follows: … The basic design of the building is a solid plaster structure with a cross-shaped roof. Open steel verandas with flat roofs were arranged to the right and left of the projecting gable on the beach promenade. The supports of these structures were richly decorated. In the middle section, two open loggias dominated the view; they continued upwards in a superimposed stone structure, which in turn ended in a protruding gable element. The lower loggia was designed in a more conventional style, while the upper one had a strongly arched shape. This shape was emphasized by the brick surround. … The most profound changes were made to the ground floor of the building: here, an extension spanning the entire width was added in front of the actual structure to enable better use as a restaurant. Also noteworthy is the small balcony attached to the recessed part of the building’s facade, which appears to have no connection to the building complex.
Year of construction: Around 1902
History/owners until 1945: The confectionery and café, owned by Grams, with six rooms and a kitchen, first appeared in the 1903 housing register. It can therefore be assumed that the house was built around 1902. In 1904, the café made it into the Stralsundische Zeitung newspaper with the following report:
Binz, August 15 (chimney fire) Yesterday evening, a small fire broke out in the Gramm establishment on the beach promenade, caused by a chimney fire. As it was noticed in time, the residents were able to extinguish it before the volunteer fire department arrived. However, a terrible smell of burning made it impossible to stay in the confectionery and café for the rest of the evening.
Four days later, the report stated: Binz, August 19 (Regarding the reported chimney fire) at Gramm’s establishment, we can confirm that the report was based on an error. We have learned that the smoke and foul odor in the pastry shop were not caused by a chimney fire, but by a sudden gust of wind that drove the smoke through the chimney into the guest rooms.
In the following years, the café developed into a popular meeting place, also hosting concerts and reunions. Hotel operations were added. Among other things, the 1909 Binz guide stated: Hôtel Café Gramm Owner: Wilhelm Gramm. First-class establishment. Directly on the beach between the family bathing area and the landing stage. Rooms furnished with the latest amenities, with or without board. Valet and carriage at the train station and steamboat. Telephone No. 29. Brochure available on request.
On May 25, 1910, the Royal District Court confirmed the entry in the commercial register for the Hotel Café Gramm in Binz on Rügen with Wilhelm Gramm as the owner, as reported in the Stralsundische Zeitung newspaper.
At the beginning of the 1920s, the owner changed to H. Gau, later to Ms. Elise Grau. From around 1925, the Waldhalle Sassnitz was operated as a branch business.
From around the beginning of the 1930s, the building housed Pielahn’s Strandkonditorei, owned by Otto Pielahn.
In the book “Landhäuser & Villen am Meer Rügen & Hiddensee” (Country Houses & Villas by the Sea on Rügen & Hiddensee) (Barbara Finke | Beatrice Pippia), the period from the end of the 1930s is described as follows in the article on “Villa Undine,” the neighboring building: At the end of the 1930s, the Neuruppin hotelier Hattenhauer bought Villa Undine together with the neighboring Hotel Bellevue.
GDR era: In the course of “Aktion Rose” in 1953, the Hattenhauer family was expropriated. During the GDR era, the building housed the beach café on the ground floor and apartments on the upper floors. The beach café was a catering facility for FDGB vacationers who were accommodated in private quarters.
After 1990: After 1990, the building was returned to the Hattenhauer family. The 1993 room catalog of the FVV Binz/Rügen e.V. already stated: Strandcafé Binz directly on the water. Beach café kitchen – own pastry shop – Italian dishes – sun terrace. Pizzeria-Ristorante Da Barbara … Eissalon Pinoccio … Wolfgang and Bärbel Hattenhauer … The building was renovated in 1998, and since then the apartment building with the beach café has been run by the Hattenhauer family for tourism.
Current use: Privately run apartment building with restaurant and art gallery
Interesting facts/anecdotes: After reunification in the early 1990s, the villa stood empty and caught the eye of globetrotter and photographer Robert Denier on his first voyage of discovery to the former GDR. The native Alsatian, who spoke very little German, came to the Baltic Sea from New York and fell in love with the clear, beautiful island light and the unique seaside resort architecture villas. Together with artist friends, Denier occupied the dilapidated villa and transformed it into a creative space with 600 liters of white paint. The then spa director even came to the first vernissage. A permanent solution was finally agreed with the owners, and Binz became Robert Denier’s home. Together with the painter Andreas Schiller, he set up a studio and gallery in the villa, which has since been renovated. Denier likes to enjoy a coffee on the terrace of the restaurant just around the corner and wait for the right light for his panoramic photographs. Other creative people settled in the immediate neighborhood and founded the Binzer Kunstmeile (Binzer Art Mile) on Margaretenstraße.
Photos: Boy Collection, Lutz Grünke, Binzer Bucht Tourismus Collection, Binzer Bucht Tourismus/Christian Thiele
Text: Klaus Boy, Binzer Bucht Tourismus